(right side of website: tv service codes & tech support numbers)
- power surges enter TV through main logic board's audio video inputs or/and power board powercord, so check standby volts on power board it's either stby 3.3v or 5v dc if ok then it might be bad main board.
-most common tv repair is tv clicking on off caused by blown / swollen capacitors in power board, common for Samsung, lg, vizio, Philips
-LCD tvs that have backlight but no picture or turns off after few seconds followed by blinking red LED on TV can be bad t-con board (display timing controller) common for Sony tvs
-plasma TV that has no picture or turns off can be bad y-sustain board and ic's on buffer board. common on Samsung, Philips, lg
-always try power reset by unplugging all cables from TV for 5 minutes you'll be surprised how many times that works on TVs, cable boxes, audio amp receivers, surround sound systems.
- risk of shock when working on TVs best to unplug powercord but even if TV is unplugged it can hold juice in big capacitors so use rubber gloves.
-always take questionable TV parts out of circuit to get best meter readings and make sure meter has good batteries.
- if TV is dead "no power" check standby dc volts on power board it should be labeled on board "stby" or 5v or 3.3v (main board plug)
standby dc volts should be 3.3v or on some TVs it's 5v steady, if it jumps 0v to 5v then check capacitors out of circuit or voltage regulator on power board, if you have solid 0 volts check power cord for ac volts, check fuses or fuseable-resistors for continuity, or bridge rectifier.
-if TV shutsdown try troubleshooting by unplugging one board at a time but power resetting in between. For example on LCD TV if Tcon board is shorted the TV will force shutdown within the 1st minute as a safety feature to prevent fires. First unplug powercord then unplug tcon board out of circuit then plug in the powercord, if TV stays on without tcon board then replace tcon board (in few cases it can be faulty lcd panel). Also on plasma TVs try unplugging Y sustain board or Y buffer board to see if TV stays on.
- PCB printed circuit boards have "traces" lines that connect to tv part components, the board number is printed on the edge of the board or on a sticker. some boards have "rev."#'s which is needed with the board number.
- some TV parts can smell burnt, have burn holes, cracks on outside shell or look brownish / blacken burnt but sometimes that's mistaken by flux paste which is used to clean and bond solder joints, flux melts when heated.
- tapping on board with rubber handle of screwdriver can help find bad solder joints or loose cable connections
- using electronic freeze spray or applying hot air on different sections of boards can help diagnose tv, just check tv for any change, this works for tcon or logic boards best.
- cleaning board cable connections with electronic cleaner can fix TVs, this worked for me on Tcon board connections.
-novice tech replaces TV boards but expert tech troubleshoots tv issues and fixes TV boards down to component level saving 90% of cost of an average $100 replacement board. Many decent techs i know tend to buy the common TV repair kit for their tv model from ebay, amazon, or shopjimmy websites, costs around $20.
-tv board location #'s example F101 is fuse, D101 is diode, C101 capacitor, Q101 transistor / mosfet, T101 transformer, R101 resistor, IC101 integrated circuit chip, U101 microchip, J101 jumper, TP is test point, L is inductor coil, CN is connection, "stby" standby voltage on power board that powers main logic board.
-Plasma TV boards- power board that supply 5v to main logic board and x/z and y sustain boards that powers the buffer boards that scan in the plasma display panel. some plasma tvs have logic display control board. Most Plasma TV's X/Y Sustain and buffer boards fail.
-LCD TV boards- power board that powers a main logic board with either 5v or 3.3v standby, inverter board that powers backlight,
tcon / timing control board that connects to lcd display panel.
ccfl tubes light up lcd screen, tcon inputs images on lcd screen.
-DLP TV parts- power board, main logic board, dmd board with dlp chip, color wheel, fans, lamp, light engine.
-CRT TV parts- power board, main board, crt board, tuner, flyback transformer, tube screen, deguass coil.
-Projection CRT TV- power board, main board, tuner, 3 CRT red, green, blue, projection guns, 3 flyback transformers, mirror, screen lens.
LED TV- power board, backlight led driver board sometimes included in power board, tcon / timing control board connected to lcd display, main logic board.
Backlight LEDs light up screen, tcon inputs images on lcd screen.
-This is a tech guide, TV repair is dangerous act at your own risk.
-TV Parts available at Mouser, Shopjimmy, Ebay, Amazon, Rivervalley electronics, Union electronics... don't buy TV parts without warranty cause a few Ebayers burned me that way.
Share your tv repair below add, tv model..., problem..., solution...
-Emerson LC320EM, SYLVANIA LC320SS2, MAGNAVOX 32MF301B,
dead, fix F601 fuse blown, F601, Q600, Q601, D604, D607, D640, R608,
Common TV repairs starting with A-Z see comments below.